Saturday, April 12, 2014

Quick Breakfast Ideas to Help You Earn an A!

Written by Rachel Sable
Part of National Nutrition Month 2013

I’m the type of person who presses the snooze button at least three times before actually getting out of bed. I love my sleep (as do all college students!) and absolutely dread setting my alarm clock.  Due to about 30 minutes lost during my over pressing of the snooze button, I have to get ready for the day in the quickest way possible.  As a student studying nutrition I am aware of the importance of breakfast and must decide, “What can I eat that is quick yet provides a jump start to my day?”  I’ve found that cereal seems to be the most tasteful option.

Image by Rachel Sable
Cereal can be a great breakfast option if you are choosing the right ones.  I always check the nutrition label and serving size.  Never rely on the claims made on the front of the box!


What should be in your cereal per serving size?


High in fiber (more than 3g)
Low in sodium (less than 200 mg)
Low in sugar (10g or less)
Image by Rachel Sable


Now we all have a hard time choosing the ‘healthy’ cereal over the ‘sugar’ cereal in the grocery aisle but there are healthier cereal options that taste just a great as the ‘sugar’ cereals.  Some options include raisin bran, miniwheats, or honey bunches of oats. Plus, you can include a serving of fruit to your cereal, like I always do, to add some sweetness to your breakfast.  My most popular choices include Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced bananas or Special K Fruit n’ Yogurt with blueberries.


Which cereal will you choose for breakfast?

References

Mayo Clinic Staff (2011). Healthy Breakfast: Quick, flexible options to grab at home. Mayo Clinic. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/food-and-nutrition/ART-20048294?pg=2

Like this post?  Read more Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment