Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Expert Research Tip: Use Your Librarian

Confession:  as an undergraduate, I never once talked to a university librarian or asked for help at the reference desk.  Instead, I tentatively typed search phrases into the library catalog, and then browsed library shelves for any books related to my research topic.  I never once used an online database, and was always confused when a professor alluded to "JSTOR" or any other confusing-sounding resource of some type...oh, if I had only known:

Using your librarian makes your life so much easier, and your work so much better.

What makes this entire confession worse is that I worked in the circulation department of my college library, and knew most of the reference librarians by sight, if not by name.  Why, then, didn't I tap into the incredible wealth of knowledge and resources that I had at my fingertips?  Many students, and I think I was one of them, feel that they should be able to tackle research on their own.  While this sort of independent thinking can be a good thing, I know that I missed out on a lot of very helpful resources, tips, and relationships because of it.  

Librarian Carol Dallman sits at the 4th floor SciTech Desk, waiting to help a researcher
Librarians go through rigorous academic and professional training.  It was only after two years of coursework, comprehensive exams, and a master's paper that I earned the privilege to be called a "librarian."  The students and faculty of HNFE have their own research, their own goals, and their own professional programs.  The librarian exists to supplement these with what they know best:  research methods and the organization of research materials.  Some of the specific ways that we do this may include:
  • Helping you brainstorm and select a topic for research
  • Helping you find journal articles and other resources related to your research
  • Making sure you are using information ethically and legally
  • Helping you get the most of the library and its plethora of information resources
  • Giving you professional and moral support as you navigate the intricacies of a research project
  • Ordering you materials and new resources that can help you with your research project
  • Meeting with you, a group, or a class to do any of the above
Here at Virginia Tech, we utilize the College Librarian model, which ensures that librarians with expertise in particular subjects work with students, faculty, and researchers that will be able to benefit from the librarian's subject expertise, in addition to that librarian's professional training.  I, of course, am the College Librarian for HNFE.  A full list of the College Librarians and their contact information can be found here:  http://www.lib.vt.edu/instruct/clprg.html

What are you waiting for?  Set up an appointment to talk with me today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment