Friday, January 21, 2011

Library Day in the Life Project

Starting on Monday, January 24, I will be participating in a project called Library Day in the Life.  Since 2008, Library Day in the Life, a week-long event, has happened twice a year in an effort to promote an understanding of the work that librarians do and support networking among library colleagues.  Although I have never participated in this international project before, the timing of Round 6 of Library Day in the Life, which begins on Monday, coincided with several things, convincing me that participating in this project is something that I need to do!

First of all, the post on the Academic Library Autopsy Report that I wrote yesterday really got me thinking that I need to do a lot more to develop my presence on campus and promote the ways that I can support faculty and students.  What better way to do this than provide a few snapshots into my regular day?

Next, I have made this blog a real priority for the upcoming year:  I'd like to beef it up with lots of information about resources and research that will benefit you, as members of the HNFE community, of course; however, I've decided that I would like to use this blog as a tool for explaining and promoting what academic librarians do here on campus at VT.  We make a lot of difficult decisions about resources, services, etc., and I want to share with you some of our thoughts along the way, and how these may reflect national and international trends in information and research.

So next week, I will write posts on Monday, Wednesday, and  Friday chronicling my day-to-day activities as the HNFE library liaison!  You can use the tag librarydayinthelife to find/read these posts quickly.  Interested in reading more about this project?  Visit the Library Day in the Life Wiki!

I'll still be posting other, HNFE-related information next week, as well, but stay tuned for a unique glimpse into what librarians actually do!

No comments:

Post a Comment