Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Post #2 (Day 3): Library Day in the Life Project Round 6

So, I originally thought that I would be writing three posts for this week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, that would capture my Library Day in the Life snapshot.  But when I used the "snapshot" metaphor, it inspired me to create yesterday's picture post--real snapshots!  I don't think I'll do another one tomorrow, simply because of the time involved, but it was definitely a fun experiment!  Today, I'm going back to my original text-based post...

Wednesday, January 26, 2011
At this point in the week, I've taught four of the six classes that I have scheduled.  Although it isn't really a lot of classes, the preparation and the teaching has kept me busy, and definitely on my toes.  I've got two more classes tomorrow, and then I can focus, I hope, on publications and presentations that have been on my "to do" list since last week!

  • [7:00-7:10 a.m.]  I drove to work today, since this is my least favorite kind of weather--cold and wet.  Although forecasts were calling for snow, we've just gotten cold rain/some snow all day.  Ick!  I needed to get to work early, though, in order to hold librarian office hours across campus and have time to prepare for my two  (different) classes today.  
  • [7:15-8:20 a.m.]  Checked and answered emails, scheduled a few consultations, updated Facebook, wikis, and blogs for various communication projects with the library and other organizations, and prepared for my two classes later in the day.
  • [8:20-9:30 a.m.]  Walked over to Wallace Hall for my HNFE Librarian Office Hours.  I think the weather was keeping people away, because I barely saw anyone in the building!  No students or faculty dropped by for a consultation, but I was able to update some software on my netbook (which I always bring with me to my mobile office hours) and install both Mendeley and Zotero, for which I often provide consultation.  
  • [9:45-11:25 a.m.]  Came back over to the library to teach my first class of the day.  Even though I got to the classroom 20 minutes early, there were students waiting in the hall!  This was another basic overview for a senior seminar class; I focused on developing research ideas, performing background searches, and using PubMed and Web of Science.  
  • [11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.]  Warmed up dinner leftovers for lunch.  I also caught up on email (this project is making me realize email is a HUGE part of my day!), worked a bit on the book chapter that I talked about yesterday, and prepared for my second class of the day, which met at 1:30.
  • [1:10-2:50] Since my first class of the day arrived so early, I wanted to make sure I got to the classroom before they did.  Again, I had a few students waiting on me!  This class was the second session of the two-day library workshop with one of the classes that I met with on Monday.  I usually focus the second session of library workshops on citation and bibliographic management, after reviewing resources from the first session.  EndNote has always been a huge part of the material, since VT has a site license, but today I also worked in Zotero and Mendeley.  I'm teaching the same lesson to a different group tomorrow, and I think I need to figure out a better way to describe so much information.  
  • [3:00-5:00 p.m.]  Back in my office--I checked email (again!), but mainly started brainstorming about better ways to teach the bibliographic management component of this workshop.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll divide the students up into groups after I briefly demo each tool and let them experiment, then come back together for discussion.  Hmmmm...  Also, I wrote this blog post!  
  • [5:30-9:00 p.m. or so]  Although this isn't part of my professional day, I thought I would throw this in just to reflect a bit on community involvement outside the workplace...  Every Wednesday night, I volunteer at Blacksburg's not-for-profit movie theater and community center:  The Lyric.  This place is undoubtedly my favorite place in town.  Each week, we only show one movie, and it's usually a solid mainstream film or a well-received indie, documentary, or arthouse film.  Regardless, it's always something good.  There are two showings a night, and I volunteer for the 7:00 p.m. showing. I get to the Lyric at 6:30 p.m. and sell tickets or concessions for half an hour, then get to go watch the movie.  This week, we're showing Black Swan, which I haven't seen yet, and I am really looking forward to it!  Since the theater is right downtown, very close to the library, I just stay here until 5:30 or so, then meet my SO for dinner downtown and head for the movie!  I love being out in the community, seeing people from all over town, and getting to discuss fun films.  Working at the Lyric always makes a stressful day better--I'm looking forward to tonight!  

No comments:

Post a Comment