Thursday, August 18, 2011

Top Ten Services: 4...3...

Even MORE services?  Why, yes....  In fact, today's Top Ten post focuses around a particular service theme:  instructional services!

4.  Instruction Sessions & Library Tours
I've already mentioned lots of ways that I help disseminate information about University Libraries and research:  subject guides, tutorials, bibliographic management.  However, one other way that I can support both students and faculty is through actual instructional support.  I often get invited to speak with classes for one or two sessions during the semester; these opportunities allow me to share information about University Libraries services and how we can help the rest of the university community.  These opportunities also allow me to actually teach in my subject area:  information literacy.  In just a session or two, I can direct students to the most relevant resources and help students gain confidence in developing research strategies, seamlessly weaving the technical and theoretical aspects of research!  You can view guides that I've created for some of the past courses I've worked with here:  http://www.lib.vt.edu/subjects/hnfe/.

On a less-intensive level, I am also available for the brief and casual library tour.  Newman is a weird building--we all agree with that!  So, let me show you around!

3.  GRAD 5124:  Library Research Skills 
In addition to developing and delivering guest lectures for other classes, I also teach my own class:  GRAD 5124.  GRAD 5124 is taught by a number of librarians here at University Libraries, and we are matched with students from our own disciplines.  That means that all HNFE students that sign up for this course will be enrolled in my section of this course.  This is a 1-credit, pass/fail course that complements the rest of a particular student's plan of study and research!  You can read more about the course in a blog post that I wrote about it earlier this year:  http://hnfelibrarian.blogspot.com/2011/04/library-research-skills-class.html

What will the top TWO services of the HNFE Librarian turn out to be?  Check back tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment