Wednesday, August 24, 2011

University Libraries: Facts & Figures

It's already the third day of classes here at VT, and I'm gearing up for teaching my first library class this afternoon (hello VT dietetic interns) and teaching the 7 classes I have scheduled for next week!  The months of September and October are always packed for instruction librarians, and I'm busy brainstorming new ways to talk about library research and resources.

When I start planning classes each semester, I always check University Libraries' "facts and numbers" page to make sure that I'm giving students and faculty the most updated information about library resources.  I always have trouble finding this on our website, since it's not linked onto the main page, so I thought I'd share it (and the updated stats) here, just so everyone's in the loop.


You can find the full facts and figures about University Libraries here:  http://www.lib.vt.edu/about/facts.html.

What always seems to shock students, though, is the sheer size of our collection!  According to the 2009-2010 Association of Research Libraries statistical report, we have:
  • 2.6 million volumes
  • 13,000 audio recordings
  • 42,000 current journal subscriptions
  • 18,000 films/videos
  • 400,000 government documents
  • 140,000 maps
  • 6.3 million microforms
Annually, we spend:
  • $2.2 million on books
  • $5.25 million on current serials
  • $8.4 million on total library materials
Also annually, librarians and library staff give around 900 presents to groups on and around campus.  If you are part of one of these groups that will be coming to see us this semester, then welcome!  We look forward to working with you, and to showing you around our large collections and collaborative spaces.


No comments:

Post a Comment