Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dear Diary...

Written by Grace Wilburn
Part of National Nutrition Month 2012


                  Dear Diary,

Today, for breakfast, I had a medium banana, ¾ cup of oatmeal, and 12 ounces of coffee.


If you’re like me, then at some point in your life you wrote in a diary. However, also like me, it probably wasn’t a list of the food you ate that day along with their portion sizes. This semester for one of my classes, I had to record everything I ate for a whole month. At first, the prospect of having to take time out of my busy schedule just to write down my food choices seemed a little tedious. However, I soon came to realize that making a note of what I was eating was worth that extra ten minutes or so a day! Not only did my food “diary” help me practice estimating and identifying portion sizes, but it also helped me to be more aware of what I was putting on my plate. Knowing that I had to record what I ate really made me think: Am I eating enough fruits and vegetables? Approximately how many of calories are coming from drinks like coffee or tea? Does my plate of food match MyPlate.gov recommendations?

This March, for National Nutrition Month, try recording your own food diary for a week. Pay attention to how many fruits and veggies, whole grains, and low-fat dairy options that you consume. Then, take a look back and compare your record to MyPlate.gov recommendations. Ask yourself, “Is my plate in shape?”



References
Untitled photograph of food record. [Photograph]. Retrieved February 22, 2012 from:                    http://www.everydayhealth.com


Like this post?  Read more Get Your Plate in Shape posts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment