Thursday, March 21, 2013

Eating Tips for the Person on the Go!

Written by Julie Patterson
Part of National Nutrition Month 2013


Have you ever been so busy that you find you don’t have the time to eat? Or maybe you even forget to eat? If you’re like me, then the answer is YES!

Our lives today can be so hectic with work, school, children or other priorities that we sacrifice our own nutritional needs. When we skip meals, this may lead us to become so hungry that we’ll eat whatever food is available, which may not always be the healthiest choice. 

As a person on the go, here are some eating tips I’ve found very useful:
  • Plan ahead! Each night, I plan and pack my meals and snacks for the next day. I have a long commute to school, and I stay on campus most of the day so I pack lunch and 2-3 nutrient dense snacks (more on this in the next tip) to help keep me satisfied and nourished.
  • Choose nutrient dense foods. A nutrient dense food has a lot of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fiber) with a relatively small amount of calories. I eat breakfast before I leave for school, but I know I’ll get hungry before lunch so I need to pack a snack. 
  • Should I pack an apple or a doughnut? Right! An apple. The apple has about 80 calories and is high in vitamins and fiber. Fiber will help me feel full longer. The doughnut has about 200 calories, very little vitamins, minerals and fiber and high amounts of sugar. This would not likely not satisfy my hunger and leave me wanting another snack. 


Still don’t have time? Turn off the television, and quit surfing the internet long enough to make the time. I am certain your body will thank you for it!

Like this post?  Read more Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day posts!  


No comments:

Post a Comment