Saturday, April 12, 2014

Avoiding the Freshman Fifteen

Written by Kelsey Tripp
Part of National Nutrition Month 2014

If you currently live on a college campus, you may be afraid of gaining the dreaded “freshman fifteen”. I often find myself eating chips, cookies, and other tasty snacks, but I later regret those empty calories. Everyone should eat those delicious treats on occasion, but it is important to eat a diet full of fruits and vegetables.  I’ve found that the best defense against unwanted weight is to stock my mini fridge or cabinet with healthy choices to eat as snacks between meals or late at night.

Some of the foods you can find in my dorm room are the following:

-          Clementines are easy to peel and they are small enough to fit in any book bag if you have a lot of back-to-back classes.
-          Apples and bananas are always my go-to fruits; they are sweet treats any time of the day.
-          Baby carrots are my best defense against late-night study sessions when I just want to munch on chips or candy.

-          Red peppers are one of my favorites and a vegetable you should try! According to the USDA’s National Nutrient Database, red peppers have two times more Vitamin C than oranges.

Image by Kelsey Tripp

Carrots and red pepper are delicious on their own, but you can dip them in hummus or your favorite dressing!

Start a shopping list including your favorite fruits and vegetables to pick up next time you go to a grocery store. When you’re in the produce section, don’t be afraid to explore different foods! What are some other easy, healthy snacks you would include with this list?

References

National nutrient database. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Like this post?  Read more Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment