Friday, March 25, 2011

Just Eat a Rainbow!

Written by Roxana Ehsani
Part of the National Nutrition Month initiative

Whenever I gloss over fitness, health, cooking, and beauty magazines or websites I always read the same headlines. The articles are always trying to capture my attention with their catchy slogans, like “10 perfect ways to get killer abs in 5 minutes”, “3 tips to make your skin glow just like J.Lo”, or “5 ways to lose 10 pounds within 24 hours”. Honestly, I think I have reached a point in my life where I understand that I really shouldn’t be looking at these magazines to earn life changing tips or ways to improve my external surface.  Although at times, I do give in and like to see if they really did find a new approach that was scientifically tested and has worked for 98% of the population however, I have yet to find any. However, today I am writing my first official blog post for the National Nutrition Month campaign to “Eat right with color” and implementing some of the strategies I learned from these glossy magazines headlines. To me, the ADA’s theme made me think of encouraging customers to eat a variety of foods that are colorful. Simple!  Here’s my approach, as a future Dietitian I would like to invite other confused magazine and health website readers to play a game called: JUST EAT A RAINBOW! Make it a competition between you and your friends: “Hey girl I got 3 different colors in my sandwich today, you only got 2. I win!” To participate in National Nutrition month, you and your friends should see who has highest number of colors in a meal. Will you be a winner and beat your friends at having the most amount of colors this month?


References
Getty Images. [Photograph]. (2005). Retrieved from: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/7845484/Comstock-Images

Like this post?  Read more Eat Right With Color posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment