Thursday, May 19, 2011

Announcements of New Services, Reminders of Old...

Yesterday I promised that today I would update you all on new services that we're just rolling out as the summer gets started.  We do have several new resources/services that I want to emphasize, but I'm also going to point out a few older services and remind you of a few other things....  We'll start with the new services!

Screenshot of Summon, the new library search engine
We've just implemented Summon, a new kind of search engine/library catalog/database all rolled into one!  It's essentially a search engine for library materials, and I will be spending quite a lot of time on this blog in late summer/early fall discussing ways to use it.  I'll also be offering a lot of demonstrations/instruction sessions on this new product, so stay tuned for that.  For now, let me just say that overall, I am a fan of the product, and that I think it has a lot of potential for helping researchers find information quickly!  MUCH more on this later.

Next, we did start quite a few new database subscriptions late in the spring semester:
Many of these databases are interdisciplinary; even though you may not be able to see the direct relevance to what you may be researching, check them out and see what they may have to offer you!

Now, a few reminders and other information.  If you're a recent graduate, you may be wondering about library access.  Check out our announcement on library access after graduation.  If your questions aren't answered here, then, as always, please don't hesitate to contact me.

If you're a faculty member visiting another university for the semester, remember that there is a reciprocal borrowing card available to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment