Tuesday, July 12, 2011

iPad Ideas: iMedicalApps

According to my Google Analytics numbers, the three posts that I recently wrote about my iPad and an app for searching PubMed were the most popular that I've written in months!  It seems that there's a lot of interest in iPads and various research-related apps.

So, today I'm reviewing a website completely devoted to medical apps:  iMedicalApps.  I'll continue reviewing individual apps in my next iPad post, but today it seems appropriate to focus on a website whose entire purpose revolves around locating and reviewing apps for medical professionals.  The site, which includes reviews for Android, Blackberry, iPad, iPhone, and Windows apps, is run by medical professionals and medical students who control the content of the page.  The "About Us" section indicates that the site receives over 400,000 reviews a month, and only posts the most relevant.  The site does include third-party advertisements, but other than that, the site is laid out well, with easy access to the most popular reviews.

The reviews all seem to include a good bit of contextual information (i.e., describes situations in which the apps have been/might be appropriate) and are well-written, in general.  The only slightly frustrating part of the site is that most of the apps reviewed are not free.  While most mobile apps are not expensive (usually in the $1.99-$19.99 range), I still appreciate the free ones!  Overall, I definitely recommend checking out this website just to get a good idea of the types of apps available for all healthcare professionals.  Take a look when you get a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment